Saturday, April 02, 2005

Nature of Sin

I guess the ultimate point I was driving at was that "sin" is comprised of all things -- acts, thoughts, deeds, omissions -- that do not measure up to God's standard, which is perfection. Therefore, a definition of "sin" would be: failing to be as perfect as God himself.

"Nobody is perfect!" Is the common refrain. That would be correct -- mankind is inherently sinful, or inherently imperfect. But the underlying thinking (or wishful thinking) by most people when they say, "Nobody is perfect" is really: "God knows we're not perfect ... he takes that into account and overlooks our minor imperfections if we just work hard at avoiding the big ones."

That's a very common way of thinking. Major faith traditions -- Judiasm, Islam, Budhism, Hinduism -- are all based on the notion that our efforts in this world to minimize the degree of imperfection is what matters. There's where the radical departure with Christianity exists: the Christian faith is built upon the idea that no matter how hard we try, no matter how good we think we're being, we're still far, far short of the perfect standard demanded by a Holy God.

From a purely logical point of view, if the "One True God" exists and what I've suggested about his Holy nature is correct, then sin has nothing to do with behavior relative to what the person believes. It has everything to do with what God expects. An atheist who doesn't believe in God doesn't change the fact of God, and therefore the atheist is sinful even if they don't recognize or acknowledge it. They stand in judgment for their imperfect nature, even if they don't believe in God or sin.

Note: this gets back to our "Ultimate Truth" discussion. If God exists and he is the Ultimate Truth, then that Truth is unchanging, regardless of our acceptance or rejection of the premise itself.

Most people recoil at that. But it truly is one of the most fundamental aspects of Christian doctrine:
We cannot by our effort reconcile ourselves to God, therefore we need someone else to do it. That "someone else" is Jesus Christ. By trusting in Christ and not ourselves, we gain the forgiveness for all our sins, and in God's eyes gain the full righteousness of Christ himself.
This is Grace. This is what John 3:16 is all about. This is what the song Amazing Grace was written to extol. This is the Gospel.

I list the "Inherent Sinful Nature of Man" as a cornerstone because, as I mentioned, failure to grasp the reality of this prevents many people -- perhaps even myself -- from truly embracing Christ as their saviour. We instead "go through the motions" -- speak the languange, perhaps, and attend the rituals -- but in reality are trusting in ourselves rather than in Christ.

Note: Sometimes I really think I fall into the latter camp. I feel like a man standing outside the department store window, looking through the glass at the beautiful item in the display window. But I hesitate going in. The price tag says "Free," but I know the commitment to be high. It is easier to stand outside the window and preen about my supposed knowledge of what's inside the window. I am in many ways heartily ashamed of myself. I have been blessed with many things, not the least of which is a pretty good understanding of what the Christian faith is all about, and yet I stand there continuing to analyze it like some geometric proof on a blackboard. I can't shake a voice in my heart saying, "Now go, and do."

May the Lord continue to show me Mercy and Guidance.

No comments: