Sunday, April 03, 2005

"Are You Jewish?"

From Pulp Fiction:
Vincent: "Want some bacon?"

Jules: "No, man. I don't eat bacon."

Vincent: "Are you Jewish?"

Jules: "No, I ain't Jewish ... I just don't dig on swine, that's all."
What does that have to do with Sigmund Freud and you question? Probably not a lot, except that Sigmund Freud was a non-practicing, almost atheist Jew. So I'm wondering how much of the doctrine of the Trinity he would have known about. The idea of God as "Three in One" as we have it is very foreign, and almost blasphemous to the Jewish mind.

Bottom line: "I dunno."

As to your question whether God created man, or the other way around ... I would guess that Freud -- in his later years in particular -- would have thought that God was simply a fabrication of our minds. That notion has been used to unfortunate effect by many since Freud's time to undermine the Kingdom of God. I'm not a fan of Freudian psychology, or any psychology for that matter, because I have little sense of its efficacy. But I could be shading reality with my own personal experiences there.

Wasn't it Jung that felt that man had a duality, not a triune nature?

I can't handle too much of that philosophical or psychological stuff ... too abstract. It's kinda like a Java Bean ... :-)

No comments: