Wednesday, February 01, 2006

With Extreme Prejudice

Random notes:
  • I had no idea that "Done up a ton" meant going 100 miles per hour. But I guess that makes some sense. Traveling 100 miles in distance really isn't much of an accomplishment. Then, no ... I have not "done up a ton." I've come close, though: 90mph. The bike had more top end to it ... I could easily have cranked the throttle for another 20 mph. But 90 was fast enough, thank you very much.
  • I don't know what D'Arcy following the name means. Care to fill me in?
  • I can appreciate that the "Pride and Prejudice" genre doesn't appeal to you. I find that somewhere deep within me there's a romantic streak. I also like movies that operate at a slower, but not boring, tempo. I find I almost can't handle the typical action picture of today ... too much noise, too much motion, too much flashing bright light. It really hits a nerve somewhere deep within me.
  • Sorry to hear about the troubles with the ex. I'm really at a loss to know what to say, other than do what you're doing ... I guess.
  • Tomorrow I am having a chat with an ex-colleague of mine who I bumped into at the Las Vegas airport the other day. He's now an Enterprise Sales Manager (ESM) and somewhat of a high-flyer. But what was interesting was a comment he made, almost in passing: "I took a leave of absence from [our company]. Best thing I ever did. Really changed my perspective on things." So tomorrow I'm going to chat with him about what his thinking was before, during and after this leave of absence. I'm very much intrigued by what he did.
  • Right now I'm wrestling with the transition implied when one reads from the end of Romans 7 into the beginning of Romans 8. It strikes me as probably what John Bunyan was writing about in "Pilgrim's Progress" where he created a time passage between "the wicket gate" and the hill where "the burden was relieved from his back." The concept implied in "Progress" (and Romans 7-leading to-8) runs counter to some contemporary evangelicals. I'll leave it at that.
  • The route I rode last weekend may look barren in Google Earth, but it was truly beautiful to be at ground level. I love wide open grasslands with gently rolling hills.
  • I'm re-reading a novel by Edward Rutherfurd called, "Sarum, the Novel of England." Sarum is the book's name for Salisbury, and the book traces that place's history from the last ice age up through the 1990's by weaving fictional characters among historical fact. I've been to Winchester, of course, but not to Stonehenge or Salisbury. The book is pretty good ... I'm now up to the 42 AD and the Romans.

No comments: