Sunday, February 12, 2006

Router

Problem fixed ... I think. The solution? I bought a new router. The problem with the old router was that for whatever reason it would not accept the DHCP offered by the ISP. My Thinkpad, plugged directly into the cable modem, received and accepted the DHCP very quickly. The new router -- same make (Linksys) but different model -- now appears to accept the address. Further, the new firmware has a "DHCP release" and "DHCP renew" button, which the old one did not. Anyway, long story short, for now it appears to be working again.

Crossing my fingers ... :-)

Note: I'm assured by the fact that I hooked my hold router back up and could not get that darn thing to "see" the upstream link. I hooked the new one back in and **poof!** -- I had my upstream connection. For $50, I'll take it. Peace of mind, and all that.

No comments: