Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Letting Go

Now, if on the other hand we are fashioned by God, then I have no idea why we are imbued with this competitive desire to win, what good can it do us?

Perhaps this is a vestige of our broken nature? Perhaps this aspect of our being is not what God wants for us, but nevertheless something he has permitted us to take on as so important a part of our being.

There really is a strong thread that runs through the Bible about letting go of such stuff. I have heard and read that the passage in Matthew 11:29 -- "Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls." -- is alluding to precisely that: letting go. One commentator suggested that if one had to come up with a single word to describe Jesus as portrayed in the Bible, that one world might be "relaxed." Jesus had the "letting go" part down perfectly. He rested in perfect assurance of God's role in his life.

There are, of course, enormous challenges to really believing that and really living that.

* * *
I went for my first night-time ride on the motorcycle last night. Not long ... 10 miles at most. But it was a new experience, and not a very comfortable one. The lack of visibility and awareness of my surroundings was disconcerting. I don't plan on doing that often, but it is good to know that I can do it if I need to.

* * *
I hope you're doing well on your holiday with K. I hope to hear your report upon your return!

No comments: